Facebook Advertising: The Basics
Organic growth on Facebook is becoming more and more difficult – even if your page does have likes, Facebook has been changing their algorithm and steadily decreasing the reach of posts for business pages. On average, only 2% of your following might see your content now! So unfortunately building an audience on Facebook is no easy task and just posting on your page is not going to get you results. It’s time to try Facebook advertising.
With the wide range of targeting options available and minimum daily spends as low as $5 per day, its a great way to reach your target audience effectively even with the smallest of budgets.
Facebook Advertising: Where to start?
- To run Facebook ads you’ll need a Facebook page for your business, make sure this page is complete and optimised for best results as people are likely to visit your page to check you out having seen your ads and you might even want to direct them there depending on your objectives.
- Think about the objectives of your Facebook ads campaign and choose a Facebook ad objective accordingly. For example; if you want to increase online bookings for your travel tour, select the objective ‘conversions’ as you will want to convert your customers from Facebook to purchasing your tour on your website.
- Analyse your target audience. What are their behaviours? What are their needs and wants? What else interests them on Facebook e.g. other pages or groups? This will help you choose your targeting options and design your ads so that they appeal to your customers. It may sound obvious but this will also help you reaffirm that Facebook is the right channel for you to be advertising on. It is a good idea to then split test these interests using the same ad to see which interests work best.
- Choose your targeting options. Facebook allows you to target very specifically by demographics, behaviours and interests on Facebook. Select location, age, gender, job title and more. It’s important to narrow your audience to ensure your ad is seen by the right people.
- Choose your budget. The budget you set will be the maximum you want to spend either per day or the lifetime of the campaign. Minimum budgets vary depending on ad objective from $5 to $25 per day. It’s a good idea to test your ads with a nominal budget to begin with and make changes to maximise performance.
- Design your ad. It’s a good idea to create a couple of versions of your add to A/B test them for best performance. Choose your headline, description and image or video. Hint: Video garners the best engagement. Check Facebook’s image guidelines to make sure you use the best images for your ad, for example they penalise images with too much text on them. You can also specify the placement of your ads, i.e. do you want them to also appear on Instagram or Facebook’s display network.
- Your ad is complete! Don’t forget to test different targeting options and ad versions for best results and refresh your ads frequently. You should also optimise the page you are sending customers to once they click on your ad so that the messaging is consistent and persuasive.
The above steps will help get you started with Facebook advertising! Want to know more? Download our free ‘How to get started with Facebook Marketing’ guide here.
Need help with your Facebook ads campaigns? Contact us to find out how we can help.